Veterans and Military
As a member of the military, you have the integrity, competence, determination and discipline needed to succeed in college. Make your next move a game changer: Advance your career with an online degree or certificate from St. Joseph’s College New York. We are proud to provide educational benefits to members of the military to help prepare you for your future.
As a part of your military service, you may qualify for benefits for you and your family. We are a Core member of the Service members Opportunity College Degree Network System. St. Joseph’s College, New York offers general incentives to show support for members of the military.
- 100% online
- Credit given for military training and experience
- Additional credit may be earned through the College’s Prior Learning Assessment Program
- Credit awarded for CLEP, DANTES, College Board Advanced Placement Exams, Guide to Educational Credit by exam and ACE National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs (CREDIT)
If you are a part of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force or Coast Guard, your benefits can help you earn your degree online from SJC Online at little or no cost to you. St. Joseph’s College, New York offers a special tuition rate of $250* per credit for service members (active duty, guard and reserve) enrolled in any undergraduate degree or certificate program for up to nine credits per semester. This is the amount that is generally covered by Tuition Assistance. This special rate applies to the dependents of active duty service members as well.
*If you enroll in more than nine credits (per semester), you will be charged full tuition for all credits taken.
St. Joseph’s College New York is a proud participant in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program, agreeing to an unlimited contribution amount for eligible recipients. If you are a military veteran with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2011*, you qualify to receive benefits from the program:
- A monthly housing allowance for students completing their degree through SJC Online based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. Online students will receive half of the national average at the current BAH rate. This is prorated based on the student’s rate of pursuit.
- An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000, paid proportionately based on enrollment.
- The Post-9/11 GI Bill also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill benefits to dependents.
*Individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days also qualify.
Michael Pope ’16 • U.S. Merchant Marines, WWII Veteran
“As a veteran of World War II, studying liberal arts was a dream for me. I had read Shakespeare on my own, but I never read it with a scholar ... it’s been so enriching to have these experiences.”
Patrick Gonzalez ’15 • U.S. Air Force
"I knew St. Joseph’s was an incredibly military-friendly school. Before I enrolled, representatives from SJC came out to my base in Westhampton, and I was able to get in touch with [Assistant Dean] Shannon O’Neill, who really guided me through the admission process."
Luis Zacarias '15 • U.S. Army
"After spending 16 years in the U.S. Army, I figured it was about time to start working on that college degree. After my first year at SJC, my only regret was that I didn't start sooner."
Robert Chmielewski ’18 • U.S. Coast Guard
"The B.S. in Organizational Management online program has allowed me the opportunity to further my education (in conjunction) with my family and active duty military obligations. Without the option of online, I would never be able to continue with my schooling. St. Joseph’s is very military friendly and the faculty and advisers are all flexible and understanding of my responsibilities outside of school. I even earned 38 transfer credits from my military training and experience."